Frequently Asked Questions

If you are a new student and have specific questions not addressed here, please contact Allison Garris in Graduate Admissions at or (203) 576-4108.

If you are a returning student and have specific questions not addressed here, please contact our program coordinator, Terri Roma, at or  (203) 576-4667.


1. Are students required to come from a science background in order to be eligible for the program?

No, many of our students are career changers who have a passion for nutrition, but they do not come from science backgrounds. Our program provides 9 credits of foundational coursework for students, which they take in their first term of the program. Students who have taken the foundational coursework previously can qualify for advanced standing in the program.

2. Will I qualify for financial aid?

In order to be eligible for financial aid, students must be domestic students and take 6 credits per term. The cost per credit will be $650 for online and $795  for on-campus. Click here for information about our monthly payment plans.

3. What are the admission requirements?

Students must hold a bachelor’s degree and a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

4. How long do I have to complete the program?

The online program can be completed in as little at 28 months or up to five years from the start of your first master’s course. The pace is up to you.

5. I have a Doctor of Chiropractic degree but not a baccalaureate degree. Can I qualify for this program?

Yes. Chiropractors may apply for admission into the nutrition program in the absence of a baccalaureate degree. The professional degree warrants a waiver of the baccalaureate requirement.

6. How do I apply?

Complete and submit an application, a 250-500 word personal statement detailing your interest in the program, and official transcripts from each institution attended.

7. How will I know if I have been admitted?

Once your application and all required documents are received, your file will be reviewed by the Nutrition department. Students typically hear back about an admission decision 7-10 business days after their file has been completed.

8. Is the University of Bridgeport’s nutrition program accredited by ACEND? ADA?

No. The University’s program holds no affiliation with ACEND or the AND.  Ours is a clinical nutrition master’s level degree. The AND is the professional organization for dietetic practitioners holding undergraduate degrees in nutrition with institutional food service internships. Individuals interested in becoming registered dieticians should consult the Directory of Dietetic Programs, which is published by the AND. Students in this program are qualified to sit for exams given by several nutrition certification organizations upon completion of this program (CNS, CCN, DACBN). Please see Career Opportunities for more information regarding certification.

9. What is the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist?

A dietitian is a health professional who has received the basic educational requirement of a bachelor’s degree with a major in dietetics, foods, and nutrition, or food service management systems. Registered dietitians are those who pass a certification exam after the completion of their academic program and have taken their supervised experience in institutional food service programs.

Individuals interested in clinical nutrition work, nutrition education, and health promotion, but not dietetics, have the option of completing bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in nutrition programs which have no AND affiliation. These individuals function independently of the AND and disseminate nutrition information through methods such as consultation, research, and teaching. These individuals call themselves nutritionists and they are distinguished from dietitians.

Please see Career Paths and Opportunities for more information.

10. Does a M.S. in Nutrition qualify me as a certified nutritionist?

No. Certification as a nutritionist is achieved through your state of residence or through a national nutrition certification organization. In both cases, passing an exam and supervised training are usually requirements for certification. Learn more about Licensing and Certification here.

11. Who are graduates of the program?

Individuals who wished to join the healthcare profession who had never worked in healthcare beforehand, as well as chiropractors, dental hygienists, exercise physiologists, dentists, medical doctors, pharmacists, nurses, registered dietitians, and teachers. Our degree is ideal for students who are looking to enter the field of healthcare at any stage of life.

12. As a Doctor of Chiropractic, with the M.S. in Human Nutrition, can I sit for the diplomate in nutrition from the American Chiropractic Board of Nutrition (DACBN)?

Yes. Those D.C.’s who have a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of Bridgeport will be eligible to sit for the diplomate of the ACBN. This certification is open to doctors of other specialties as well.

It is important to note that certifications and diplomats represent professional recognition. It does not authorize or license an individual to practice, which is a state regulatory function. Learn more about Licensing and Certification here.

You are viewing the old version of UB website. Click here to switch to theNew Version!