Interested in getting certified or licensed in nutrition? The two are separate processes, as follows:


Obtaining a license to practice is governed on a state-by-state level. Students and prospective students who do not plan to practice in Connecticut should check with the Board of Health in the state they plan to practice to determine what is needed for legal practice of nutrition counseling., a trade website, provides information on this for all states, but laws can change so check your state’s Board of Health to confirm.


There are multiple nutrition certifications available to graduates of our program. Please research the organizations below to determine which is best suited for you.

  1. Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) – For students graduated from the 41-credit MS program, you can apply for 255 hours of supervised experience by having passed course Nutr 560K.
  2. Certified Clinical Nutritionist (CCN) – Clinical Nutrition Certification Board, 1-972-250-2829
  3. American Clinical Board of Nutrition – (540) 635-8844, Offers advanced standing towards their diplomate program (DACBN) to those with professional doctoral degrees who have completed the UB M.S. nutrition degree. No additional hours of training are required, as UB’s M.S. program exceeds the ACBN’S course hour requirements. For doctorate level degrees only.
You are viewing the old version of UB website. Click here to switch to theNew Version!