My UB To-Do List

Students outside the USA
When you receive your I-20, contact the U.S. Embassy in your home country to make an appointment for an F-1Visa Interview right away. Do NOT make an appointment until you receive your I-20. We are NOT responsible if you miss your visa interview date because you made an appointment before receiving your I-20 Form.

Pay the SEVIS Fee online before you go to the U.S. Embassy.

Read the “Preparing for your Visa Interview” article which was sent to you in the mail along with your acceptance letter, or go to our Visa Information page.

Visa Tip: If your visa gets denied, don’t give up, try again.

Students currently in the USA
International students inside the U.S.A. who wish to transfer to UB should follow the transfer instructions sent to them along with their acceptance letter. For more information, please e-mail

Pay your tuition deposit as soon as you obtain your student Visa. You must send your signed Admissions Confirmation Form with your tuition deposit so we can reserve a place for you in program. Please refer to your Admissions Confirmation Form and Acceptance Letter for more details on how to send the tuition deposit. The tuition deposit for all undergraduate and graduate students is $200.

Pay your housing deposit to secure a room on campus. Send your housing deposit with a completed housing contact. Every student is mailed a housing contract with his/her official acceptance letter. The housing deposit is $200 for graduate and undergraduate students. You may add the housing deposit to your tuition deposit and send one amount of money.

To pay your deposits, simply send us a bank draft or money order, drawn on a U.S. bank, payable to the “University of Bridgeport.” Mail your bank draft or money order, along with your University of Bridgeport Acceptance Confirmation Form and Housing Contract that were sent to you in the mail, to the following address:

University of Bridgeport
Office of International Admissions
126 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604, USA

You must include your full name (family name and first name) and your University ID number with ALL deposit payments. If you’d like to pay your deposits from a bank outside of the US, please use

If you are outside the U.S., you should NOT pay your deposits until AFTER you have obtained your F-1 Student Visa from the American Embassy/Consulate in your home country.

Once admitted, you will receive information about your mandatory Check-In Session and Orientation. You will receive an email with signup information for your Check-In Session. This session is where you will officially report to the University. Check-In Sessions begin 30 days prior to the report day on your I-20. They are usually held at least once per day, with more sessions being offered as the semester start date nears. During your session, you will present your Passport, Visa, I-20, health forms, and any other official documents required by the University. You should not sign up for your session until you have secured your travel plans to the University. Session space is limited, so please plan accordingly.

From the airport:

When you arrive at LaGuardia or JFK go to the Ground Transportation Center and request the Go Shuttle of Connecticut to Bridgeport. Go Shuttle (available only from LaGuardia or JFK Airports) goes directly to UB and costs $59. For more information, visit Go Shuttle at or call (877-544-4646). We advise international students to choose JFK as their arrival airport as this is the most convenient airport for international arrivals. DO NOT TAKE A TAXI FROM ANY NEW YORK OR NEW JERSEY AIRPORT! It’s very expensive.

By car:
Traveling South on I-95: Take Exit 27. At the traffic light at the bottom of the exit ramp, turn left. Take a left at the next stoplight under the I-95 overpass. (Make sure not to get back on the I-95 North entrance ramp.) At the next light, turn right onto Broad St. Continue on Broad St. until you come to Gregory St. Turn right onto Gregory St. Proceed down Gregory St. for one block. Turn left on Myrtle Ave. You may park in the parking lot on the right side. The Student Center is the red brick building on the left.

Traveling North on I-95: Take Exit 27. At the bottom of the ramp, continue straight to the third traffic light. (Make sure to bear to the right off the I-95 North entrance ramp.) At the third traffic light, turn right onto Broad St. Continue on Broad St. until you come to Gregory St. Turn right onto Gregory St. Proceed down Gregory St. for one block. Turn left on Myrtle Ave. You may park in the parking lot on the right side. The Student Center is the red brick building on the left.

By bus or train: Amtrak and Metro North trains and Peter Pan buses all make regular stops at the Bridgeport railroad and bus stations, which are located in the Bridgeport Transportation Center. From there you can take a quick five-minute taxi ride to campus.

Attend your scheduled Check-In Session to submit all documents.

Student Passport Check-In (as soon as you arrive in the USA)

Student passport check-in is a mandatory process as per immigration policy and the university has a deadline to report your physical presence and your enrollment to U.S. Immigration authorities. All students are required to complete the passport check-in process with the International Center for Students and Scholars, including:

  • Students who are entering the U.S. for the first time on a UB I-20 or DS-2019
  • Students who have been in the U.S. on an I-20 or DS-2019 from another school and are transferring to UB
  • Students who have attended UB’s English Language Institute and received a new I-20 from International Admissions Office for a degree program

*Important note: follow all the instructions given to you with the form I-20 or DS2019 and plan your trip to the United States so that you arrive no sooner than 30 days prior to your program start date.

For passport check-in, please bring:

  • Passport(s)
  • Visa
  • I-20 or DS2019 (For transfers: bring all previous I-20s or DS2019s)
  • Prepared local U.S. address and local phone (tip: write this in a notebook or on your phone to have available for filling out forms)

You will need to fill out a U.S. address form. Make sure you know the complete address (including street number, street name, apartment number, city, state and postal code) if you live off campus.  In addition, you must provide emergency contact information in your home country (first, last name of a person to contact in case of an emergency, street address, city, state, country, postal code, telephone number, email address). Here is an example local US address for correct formatting: 222 Happy Lane, Apt 1B, Bridgeport, CT 06604   (You may also view an example address here.)

Go to the Health Services Center to submit your Health Examination Report.

Make sure you and your doctor complete this report in your home country. For more information on all health requirements, please contact student Health Services at 203-576-4712 or

Students planning to live in the Residence Halls (dormitories):

If you arrive on campus between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., go to the Residential Life Office, located at Seeley Hall, 490 Waldemere Avenue (rear entrance) to sign up for on-campus housing.

If you arrive on campus after 4:30 pm, go directly to Security office in Norseman Hall (203-576-4524), where you will receive instructions for temporary overnight accommodation. The next morning, go to the Residential Life Office to sign up for permanent housing.

If you take the Shuttle bus, you will be attended no matter what time you arrive on campus.

If your travel plans oblige you to arrive at the university after 11 pm, you must advise the Residential Life Office before you depart from your home country. Otherwise, you will not be accompanied and must make arrangements to stay with a friend or relative, or pay for a room in a nearby hotel.

Residential Life contact information:
Phone: 203-576-4228
Fax: 203-576-4461

Students planning to live off campus:
If you do not plan to live in a UB residence hall but have not yet arranged for off-campus housing, you may want to stay at a local hotel or with a friend/relative until you find housing. Some local hotels are listed in below. Temporary housing (two nights) for new students MAY be available (contingent upon availability of space), but priority is given to those who have sent in their $200 housing deposits and housing contracts prior to their arrival at UB. Please email to make arrangements.

Hotel Accommodations – Be sure to mention you are a UB student!

  • Bridgeport Holiday Inn, Bridgeport, 203-334-1234, $119/night for UB Students.
  • Fairfield Inn by Marriott, Milford 203-877-8588, special rate of $114/night plus tax for UB students/families.
  • Fairfield Inn, Fairfield, 203-255-0491; approximately $89-99/night.
  • Milford Red Roof Inn, Milford, 800-843-7663; approximately $68-99/night.
  • Trumbull Marriott, Trumbull, 800-228-9290; $100/night.
  • Homewood Suites, Stratford, 203-377-3322; approximately $99 & up/night.

What to Bring Along
Do not forget! We would like for you to be comfortable while at the University of Bridgeport – your new home away from home. The following is a Top 10 List of things to bring, which some international students forget when packing for their arrival to UB:

  • Phone number/ address of any friends and relatives in U.S.A.
  • Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, shaving cream, etc.
  • Winter coats and warm clothes. It’s cold here in the winter.
  • An extra pair of reading glasses (It may cost more in USA!)
  • Some traditional outfits from your country, for the International Festival at UB
  • Favorite music from your country (you may find them at a better price back home).
  • A battery operated alarm clock (Please note: You may need an adapter to use electrical goods from your country in USA).
  • Pictures of loved ones.
  • A cricket bat and accessories (if you play cricket back home).

Helpful Contacts

International Admissions Office – For Admissions-related questions
Telephone: 203-576-4552

International Center for Students and Scholars – For Immigration-related questions
Telephone: 203-576-4395

Residential Life Office
Telephone: 203-576-4228

Campus Security Office (Open 24 hours / 7 Days a week)
Telephone: 203-576-4911
Address: Across from 141 Linden Avenue

If you are calling from an on-campus phone at the University of Bridgeport, just dial the last four numbers (e.g., 4552, 4395, or 4911).


Like UB on Facebook @ubridgeport Watch UB on Youtube Follow UB on Twitter @ubridgeport Follow UB on Instagram @ubridgeport


You are viewing the old version of UB website. Click here to switch to theNew Version!