Understanding the importance of living on campus to the growth, development and success of students, the University requires all full-time undergraduate students to live in University residence halls unless they meet one or more of the following criteria:

  1. They have attained the age of 21 by the first day of classes.
  2. They have accumulated 90 academic credits (including transfer credits) by the first day of classes.
  3. They are living at home with parents, a spouse or other immediate relatives within a 50 mile driving distance of the University.

Exceptions to this policy must be requested from the Office of Housing, Residential Life and Community Standards, in writing, and must be approved by the Director of Housing and  Residential Life by the first day of classes.

Eligibility Requirements to Live in University Housing

Students living in the residence halls must meet the following requirements:

  1. S/he must be a full-time, matriculated undergraduate or graduate student of the University of Bridgeport. Full-time status is defined as being registered for 12 or more credits as an undergraduate and 9 or more credits as a graduate student. Should a student withdraw from the university, as a whole, or if s/he obtains permission to move off campus, the student must remove all belongings from, and officially vacate, the residence hall within 24 hours after withdrawal. Failure to do so may result in fines and/or the disposal of all items left within the residence hall.
  2. S/he must be 100% compliant with Health Services regarding all immunizations required to attend the university and live within the residence halls. Pursuant to Connecticut State General Statute 10a-155b, all students residing in a college residence hall MUST be vaccinated for meningitis. Please contact Health Services regarding all other vaccinations required to attend the university.
  3. Residents must pay all charges owed the university by their respective due dates. Outstanding tuition bills and/or Residence Hall Deposits, housing charges, and damage bills not paid on time may result in a student being denied an assignment within the residence halls.
  4. The university reserves the right to deny on campus housing to any student which demonstrates an inability to abide by the rules of the university, the Student Code of Conduct and/or the rules of the Office of Residential Life and Student Conduct.

Housing Assignment Policy
Incoming students are given the ability to self-select rooms from those available during the New Student Orientation program each summer. Current students may select rooms from those available each spring semester as part of the room selection process. Only students who have submitted all required paperwork and have paid the housing deposit may be eligible to participate in either process. While we make every effort to provide students with housing and roommate assignments as requested, due to the space limitations not all requests may be completed. Since the university celebrates diversity, the Office of Housing Residential Life and Community Standards does not make any room assignment based on race, creed, religion, national origin, language or any other difference. Students may seek a change in roommates after the second week of classes but before October 1 (fall semester) or March 1 (spring semester).

Housing Charge Refund Policy

There is no refund given to students which leave the residence hall due to suspension, dismissal or for any reason during the academic year (September – May), or the summer session (May – August).
Students which are withdrawing from the university are entitled to the following housing charge refund based on their official withdrawal date from the university:

  • Prior to the 1st day of class: 100% refund
  • During the 1st week of class: 80% refund
  • During the 2nd week of class: 60% refund
  • During the 3rd week of class: 40% refund
  • During the 4th week of class: 20% refund
  • After the start of the 5th week of class: No refund

Room Conversion Policy

After the start of the semester, Residential Life will provide students, assigned to double rooms but with no roommate present the ability (a) convert their room to a double-as-a-single for an additional charge, (b) to relocate to be with another student or (c) to keep their room as a double-as-a-double with no roommate present at that point in time. Students which convert their room to a double-as-a-single understand that s/he is responsible for the additional charges that are placed on his/her account with the university. Students which decide to keep their room as a double-as-a-double with no roommate at this point in time understand that s/he may be assigned a roommate at any point in time during the remainder of the semester; therefore, s/he must keep ½ the room clear and ready for a potential roommate at all points in time.

Alcohol Policy

Section 30-89(a) of Connecticut statutes states that it is unlawful for a minor (under the age of 21) to purchase, or attempt to purchase, or to make a false statement in connection with the attempted purchase, of alcohol.
Section 30-89(b) states that possession of alcohol by a minor on a street, highway, or public place is illegal.
Students are expected to observe all of the various laws, statutes, and ordinances. Wherever the term “alcoholic beverage” or “alcohol” is used in this policy it refers to any alcoholic beverage, including, but not limited to beer, wine, and wine coolers.
Kegs and keg events are strictly prohibited on all University premises, including all residence hall rooms. The presence, possession, or use of common source containers of alcoholic beverages (including, but not limited to, kegs, barrels, beer balls, pony kegs, boxes of wine, other bulk containers requiring a tapping device or spigot, punch bowls, trash cans or other containers used as punch bowls) by individuals or groups is prohibited on the University campus. Students under the age of 21 may not use, possess, sell, or consume alcohol on University property under any circumstances. Students 21 years of age and over may use alcohol within reasonable limits in the privacy of residence hall rooms. No person, regardless of age, is permitted to consume or possess alcoholic beverages in a substance-free residence hall. The consumption of alcohol or possession of an open container of alcohol is prohibited in all common areas of residence halls, including, but not limited to, corridors, stairwells, elevators, bathrooms, lounges, kitchen areas, recreation rooms, basketball courts, and study areas.
Students who are caught violating the alcohol policy will face disciplinary action through the Student Conduct Process.

Tobacco Policy

Pursuant to State law and University policy smoking, including the sue of E-Cigarettes, is prohibited in the residence halls. Students wishing to smoke must do so outside and are required to be a reasonable distance (20 feet) away from the building to prevent smoke from entering the hall or rooms through open windows or doors. Chewing tobacco is also prohibited on university property.

Lost Key and Lock Out Policy

Students who temporarily misplace their room key may obtain a loaner key for a short period of time (72 hours) through the front desk of their residence hall. This key must be returned within 72 hours and the misplaced key must be produced or the student will be processed as if s/he lost a key.

Students are issued a UB identification card that also acts as a meal and access card for those living in residence halls. Residents who lose their proximity/UB ID card may be issued another from Campus Security for a fee. Students who lose their room key must report the lost key to their Resident Director or Resident/Community Assistant immediately. When a key is lost, the lock to the room much be changed immediately for security reasons. Students who lose a room key will be charged $64.00 for a lock change. Once the lock is changed, the locksmith will place a sign on the door informing the occupants to pick up their new keys from the Hall Office during regular business hours. If the key is not picked up by 4:30 p.m. on the day the lock is changed, the key will be brought to the residence hall RA office and the occupants of the room may pick their keys up from the RA on duty from 7:00pm to Midnight. Both the $25.00 UB ID proximity card charge and the $64.00 lock change charge must be paid to the Cashier or the charge(s) will be placed on the resident’s housing bill.

Regarding Students Requesting Special Housing Arrangements Due to A Documented Medical Need

Students with a documented short/long term medical condition may request special housing arrangements based on their condition. These requests may relate to having special room assignments (example: 1st floor) or a single room. Students must submit a “Request for Special Housing Arrangements”, and all supporting documentation from their Physician, through the online form available HERE.

Upon receipt of materials, the Office of Student Accessibility Services will review and make an appropriate recommendation to the Office of Housing, Residential Life and Community Standards regarding the request and a final decision regarding the request submitted by the student will made. The University reserves the right to speak with your primary care physician for more details—if needed—to determine the medical necessity of the request, if applicable.

You are viewing the old version of UB website. Click here to switch to theNew Version!