UB’s Counseling Services recognize that this time of adjustment can be a challenging period for you and your student. While university life can offer rich opportunities for intellectual, social, and personal growth, it also presents students with personal challenges during this time of transition in their lives. We at Counseling Services are committed to working with parents and families to support students as they negotiate the academic, social, and emotional transitions of the college and university years.

Click through to read some of the most frequently asked questions about counseling services at the University of Bridgeport:

What counseling services are available on campus?

The office of Counseling Services provides students with a wide range of short-term counseling and psychological services. These services can include individual counseling and group counseling.

Is there a fee for Counseling Services?

Services are available to all undergraduate and graduate students at no cost.

Where is Counseling Services located?

We are on the second floor of Carstensen Hall, 174 University Avenue, Bridgeport, CT.

How are appointments scheduled?

Students can set up an initial intake appointment by calling 203-576-4454, emailing, or coming to the office on the second floor of Carstensen Hall.

How quickly are appointments scheduled?

Typically, an appointment can be scheduled within two to three days. Counseling Services also offers daily crisis services during office hours.

What are your office hours?

Counseling Services is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What if a student needs help after hours?

If a residential student is in crisis after hours, you should contact Campus Security at 203-576-4911. They will assist you and will contact a counselor. If a student lives off campus, you should call 911 or take the student to an Emergency Room.

Can I talk to my son or daughter’s therapist?

Therapists are permitted to listen to any information you provide. However, without written permission from your son or daughter, a therapist will not be able to speak with you about his or her treatment or confirm whether or not your child is receiving services.  

What information is confidential?

Counseling Services adheres to professional ethical standards and all state and federal laws regarding confidentiality. This means that once a student has contacted our office, we are not permitted to disclose any information (including whether or not s/he has made an appointment with our office) without written consent from the student. The primary exception to this rule is if the student is in imminent danger of causing harm to self or others.

What if my son or daughter needs medication?

Counseling Services does provide limited psychiatric services during the academic year. Please contact 203-576-4454 or for further information.

Additionally, Counseling Services can provide students with referrals to off-campus psychiatrists in the area. We recommend that you check with your health care provider for a list of psychiatric referrals that may be covered under your health care plan.

What if a student needs other services that you cannot provide or they want to see a therapist off campus?

In some cases, a student’s needs extend beyond that of which Counseling Services can offer. Counseling Services staff will provide appropriate referrals to off-campus services.


  • UB's Counseling Services

  • 174 University Ave
    Carstensen Hall, 2nd Floor
    Bridgeport, CT 06604

  • (203) 576-4454


  • Monday to Friday
    9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Like UB on Facebook @ubridgeport Watch UB on Youtube Follow UB on Twitter @ubridgeport Follow UB on Instagram @ubridgeport


You are viewing the old version of UB website. Click here to switch to theNew Version!